The Resort at Port Ludlow

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A Different Perspective

This scenario doesn't happen very often but when it does I always think it’s the worst possible timing. I believe we've all been there.

I’m running late, I can’t find my keys, coffee is out of the question and by the time I’m finally on my way to work and making up some lost time I get this text, “The hood canal bridge is currently closed.”
Now I’m in a panic and annoyed at the fact that today I will just HAVE to be late.

But then I see a flock of people exit their cars, spouses hold banners welcoming home their submariners and the coast guard is the first vessel I spot. It’s on this occasion that I remember that while I may be late, our heroes and their loved ones are serving our country and THIS is worth stopping for.



It’s a matter of perspective because more so than not I’m really just waiting for a personal vessel to pass through—but to think that the text message that I received this morning could be a welcomed sigh of relief from the family of a returning sailor is enough to make me stop and think.

Our coast guard boats are the protectors of this fleet of service and they carry the responsibility of bringing the submarines in and out of The Puget Sound. The view (when lucky enough to be in line close to the bridge) is simply stunning.

I've caught myself wondering what it would be like to be on one of those boats as I watch them part the way for the oncoming subs.

This weekend is my chance and I am truly looking forward for the opportunity to meet with a few of the members that serve aboard these vessels as we welcome two Coast Guard boats to our Marina.  On Saturday, April 12th from 11:30am-2:00pm I encourage you to join us for a tour of a 63’ and 33’ foot Coast Guard vessel and the opportunity to talk to the crews in charge of each.


Here’s to hoping that the next time I’m stuck in traffic on my way to work I pause to think, “This is worth it.” And I hope to see you this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Very well said! Will be there Saturday for sure! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! Your comment will be sent for moderation and posted upon approval.